August 11, 2014
Engaging teachers to join PTA
Involving teachers and administrators is one of the best ways to strengthen communication between families and schools. Encouraging them to join PTA in a collaborative partnership between home and school should be one of the focal points of your membership campaign.
Enrique Camarena PTA in Chula Vista (Chula Vista Council PTA, Ninth District PTA) reached out to teachers before the first day of school and already has 100 percent teacher membership in PTA!
Check out the Enrique Carmarena PTA Facebook page to see how this PTA is engaging teachers.
Ideas for getting teachers involved:
- Enlist the support of your principal. A principal's encouragement to join PTA can go a long way.
- Talk with teachers about the value of PTA and ask them to join. Arrange to provide breakfast or a snack for teachers and use this opportunity to talk to teachers about the value and importance of PTA at your school. You can also use back-to-school night as an opportunity to speak with both teachers and parents about the importance of supporting PTA.
- Share information about PTA's Continuing Education Scholarships for teachers, counselors and school nurses. Learn more.
- Provide incentives. Award teachers and staff with a party or lunch when 100 percent teacher and staff membership is reached. You could also consider giving teachers a few classroom supplies when they join PTA.
- Remind teachers and staff about PTA's advocacy work. More than a local fundraising group for your school, PTA is an advocacy organization focused on student success!
Last year, Kentfield Schools PTA (Sixteenth District PTA) showed teachers just how much they were appreciated!Teachers matter in PTA
Building PTA membership with your teachers can really pay off for your school. Not only will your PTA have the support of your entire school, but your PTA could qualify for the Teachers Matter...Members Matter Membership Challenge!
Here's how your PTA can qualify:
- Have 100 percent of your full-time, home-based credentialed teachers join PTA;
- Show an increase in total membership over last year's total; and
- Complete and submit the application form by February 2, 2015.
Offer an incentive
We know people join PTA to support children and their schools. But incentives and perks can help make joining PTA an even greater value.
This back-to-school season, Baskin-Robbins is helping make PTA membership sweet by giving all members a coupon for a free scoop of ice cream. Ask your district PTA for details.
Temecula Valley High School PTSA in Temecula (Temecula Valley Council PTA, Twenty-Third District PTA) is showcasing the Baskin-Robbins incentive on social media and asking their "Golden Bear" parents and students to join PTA.
California State PTA also offers great member perks to help your students, your family and your school. Download and print a one-page member perks flier to handout to parents, teachers and community leaders when asking them to join your PTA.
Want great materials you can copy and hand out to parents and teachers?
We have great resources available to help show parents and teachers at your school how PTA is engaged on important issues such as:
- Guidance on how to ease transition for students with special needs (Available in English and Spanish)
- How to support learning at home (Available inEnglish, Spanish, Arabic, Armenian, Cambodian,Chinese, Hmong, Korean, Tagalog, Thai and Vietnamese)
- Quick Guides to understanding the new Local Control and Accountability Plans (LCAPs)(Available in English and Spanish)
There's still time to register for the membership webinar series!
Don't miss these great training opportunities!
- August 13 at 7 p.m. - Membership for Beginners: Nuts & Bolts of Membership Campaigns
- August 14 at 7 p.m. - Watch Us Grow: Ideas for Ongoing Membership Campaigns
- August 18 at 7 p.m. - Electronic/Digital Membership Cards