Building PTA membership through family events
Family events such as "Family Fitness Night" or "Talent Showcases" are great ways to build parent and family engagement at your school while showcasing the value of your PTA.
These events also provide opportunities to reach back out to parents and families who have not yet joined your PTA. All you need is a table, the latest membership resources from California State PTA and a welcoming smile!
Some ways PTAs throughout the state are engaging families and building membership:
- Lemon Avenue PTA in La Mesa (Mt. Helix Council PTA, Ninth District PTA) set a goal to reach 350 members this school year. To help accomplish this, the PTA is organizing a variety show for students in grades 4-6.
- Dos Caminos PTA in Palmdale (North Antelope Valley Council PTA, Thirty-Fourth District PTA) engaged families at their recent Family Zumba Night.
Share your mid-year membership success stories!
Do you have a tip for building membership mid-year, or just want to share a membership success story from your PTA? We welcome your ideas and stories so we can share them with all PTA leaders. Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org, or share your photos and stories with us on Facebook or Instagram.
Three ways to recruit more men to join your PTA
More engaged fathers and father figures–whether living with or apart from their children–can help foster a child's healthy physical, emotional and social development. There's no doubt about the positive impact male role models can have on their children's lives.Read more in the latest PTA in California.
PTA knows the value of male engagement. As your PTA looks to build male PTA membership, here are three tips to keeps in mind:
1. Just ask. Why don't more men join PTA? Often, it's simply because they aren't asked.
2. Create more special events of interest to men. Creating events designed for men is a great way to engage more male role models at your school. Consider sports activities and father-daughter and father-son events.
3. Recognize and celebrate all PTA members. When you start getting more men involved in your PTA, let the community know. Reinforcing men's contributions, while being mindful of what all members do for PTA, creates a positive and welcoming atmosphere.
Stay tuned for details on our NEW MARCH MALE MADNESS membership incentive...coming soon!
Build membership, win big!
There's just one week remaining for your PTA to earn a FREE registration to the 2015 California State PTA Annual Convention. When 100 percent of your full-time, home-based credentialed teachers join PTA and your PTA shows an increase in total membership over last year's total by February 2, you win!
A completed application form must be received in the California State PTA office no later than midnight, February 2, 2015. Download the application and learn more about membership incentives from California State PTA.
Has your PTA created a video to promote membership or highlight the achievements of your PTA?
Send us a link so we can feature it in an upcoming "Mid-Year Membership Monday" eBlast, and on our website and social media platforms.
Resources to jump start your mid-year membership efforts
If you're looking for new ideas to increase PTA membership at your school or ways to engage students or teachers in PTA, check out the Marketing Your PTA webpage for great ideas and resources all year long:
- Membership timeline and theme ideas
- Website and social-media graphics
- Ways to encourage teachers to join PTA
- Ideas to build student membership and involvement
- Membership awards and scholarship due dates.